Sunday, June 29, 2008

Summer - Aunt S

Farmer John got out on his tractor and started it up. "It's summer now," he thought, "time to plant." He looked around. His neighbors had planted their fields already, but the rain had washed away what they planted. "For once, procrastination is my friend," thought Farmer John.

Farmer John was retired from farming. He had most of his property in alfalfa or a cover crop. His best friend was a beekeeper.

"I think I'll dress my place up this year," said Farmer John. He threw some flower seeds around his house. "I like tomatoes," said Farmer John. He planted 15 varieties of tomatoes. "I like pesto," said Farmer John. "I really like pesto on sliced tomatoes," he thought. He planted several varieties of basil. "I wonder if this is my year to grow cucumbers," thought Farmer John. He planted some cucumber seeds. "I've got all this property going to waste," thought Farmer John. "I'll grow some corn. I like corn."

Pretty soon, Farmer John had a lot going on in his garden. He ate delicious vegetables and enjoyed looking at all his flowers blooming. His garden got just the right amount of rain, so he didn't have to water anything. Once in awhile, his friend, the beekeeper, would come over to visit, and they would sit on the porch and eat watermelon if it was very hot.

Farmer John thought it was his best summer ever.

1 comment:

Lucy Autrey Wilson said...

I want to visit Farmer John and sit on his porch, eating his vegetables and smelling his flowers.