Monday, March 24, 2008

Kumquats: Aunt E

While I was tempted to plagiarize, I'm coming clean and admitting I did some research on this topic.

According to the book On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee, lesser-known citrus fruits that are worth knowing about include the following...

  • "Kumquats, species of the genus Fortunella, are bite-size fruits that are eaten whole, thin rind and all. They are generally tart but not bitter. The calamondin or calamansi, also a diminutive citrus, is probably derived in part from the kumquat."

How I wish I could say I had Fortunella to eat today!

1 comment:

Lucy Autrey Wilson said...

When I'm in the Philippeans visiting we drink fresh squeezed calamansi juice with sugar and ice. It's perfect when it's hot and muggy. I did not know they were related to kumquats or the Fortunella genus! Always happy to learn something new